Re: [jats-list] Request to identify each <sec> in an article by a unique DOI

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Request to identify each <sec> in an article by a unique DOI
From: "Bruce Rosenblum bruce@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 19:50:21 -0000
"In fact, DOIs are very lax in what characters they permit"

The original DOI specification allowed almost any
character, and CrossRef originally supported
that. After about 5 years of problems due to DOIs
with characters like <, > and # showing up (the <
and > from the SICI standard were especially
problematic), CrossRef set limits on the
characters they allow to "a-z", "A-Z", "0-9" and
"-._;()/" (note however that DOIs are actually
treated case insensitive according to the ISO standard).

So older CrossRef DOIs can have almost any
character, but newer ones are limited to the
rules above. The ISO standard, however, remains
unchanged and still allows almost any character.

Of course, that doesn't solve the slash problem, short of substitution.

You might suggest (via the NISO form) that the
working group add a DOI attribute to sec, or
better might be an id element in sec-meta

Bruce

At 03:38 PM 7/16/2014, Maloney, Christopher