Re: [jats-list] return links from citations

Subject: Re: [jats-list] return links from citations
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 17:41:16 -0000
Hi Mike,

I can't say anything regarding the official rationales, but if I had
my druthers I would want return links to be generated (and controlled)
by rendering logic. Making them explicit in the source data might be
necessary if they were not fully rules-bound (for example, if the
return link were not always to the first reference into the citation
and only the author could say where they should go) -- which is a
matter of editorial policy, not a technical question -- but as a
developer I'd consider a rules-driven derivation of the correct return
link, at transformation time, to be both robust, easier to maintain,
and cheaper over the long term.

Of course I'm only making general statements here, and generalities,
generally, are often wrong. In the JATS context, I'd say this is a
case of "if you need this, then you need to be using Green not Blue".

Cheers, Wendell

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 8:37 AM, Mike Eden meden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm wondering how others code/identify return links from citations?
>
> <mixed-citation> in the Publishing tag set does not allow <xref> directly,
> though it could be set within <italic>, <bold> etc which are allowed.
> Interestingly Archive and Interchange does allow <xref> here.
>
> Were there specific reasons why Publishing tag set does not allow this or is
> this an oversight?
>

> regards
>
> Mike Eden
>

> JATS-List info and archive