Re: [jats-list] access and license indicators

Subject: Re: [jats-list] access and license indicators
From: "Owens, Evan evan.owens@xxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 17:20:17 -0000
I have been talking with Chuck Koscher of CrossRef about JATS and ALI.  An
issue that he raised was that the NISO ALI specification (now included in JATS
1.1d3) has no provision to indicate which article version the license applies
to (Accepted manuscript or Version of Record or Text Mining). That is part of
the CrossRef metadata that didn't get included in ALI and JATS.  The CrossRef
attribute is @applies_to on their <license_ref> element; values are "am" "vor"
and "tdm".

So perhaps a JATS solution would be to use the @specific-use attribute on
<license> to document what version the license applies to; something like
this:

<license  specific-use="am">
   <ali:license_ref xmlns:ali="http://www.niso.org/schemas/ali/1.0";
start_date="2015-02-03">
        http://www.examplesite.org/open_license.html
   </ali:license_ref>
</license>

Which then would have all the information that needs to be exported to
CrossRef.  This is an industry challenge because CHORUS members are required
to document their licenses to CrossRef...and some may have multiple versions
and licenses to manage.

Evan Owens  (member of JATS standing committee and CHORUS TWG)