[jats-list] Re: [JATS-List:] Preprint DOI handling

Subject: [jats-list] Re: [JATS-List:] Preprint DOI handling
From: "Owens, Evan evan.owens@xxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:05:20 -0000
Hi Caroline,

At the Crossref annual meeting last November the session on DOIs for Preprints
said that this was about allowing preprint sites to register a DOI separately
from the publisher's DOI for the published article and then how to track the
relationship between the two DOIs in Crossref metadata.    In the past
preprints were not allowed to be registered with Crossref.

Is this customer question actually about preprint services (something
completely separate from journal publication)?  Is the customer posting all
submissions as preprints, separate from what is accepted?   Or is about the
publisher posting the accepted manuscript and calling it a "preprint"?  If the
publishers is posting the accepted manuscript then replacing it with the
published version of record, that would not require separate DOI.   Would the
version that this customer is posting still be online after the published
article is online?

The other new Crossref feature coming soon is to allow publishers to register
the DOI at acceptance and before publishing (making it available online); that
is entirely new functionality.  This was described as to support having DOIs
in press releases announcing an article before publication and to support
tracking funding info at acceptance rather than at publication.

Evan Owens
VP Publishing Technologies, Cenveo Publisher Services
2905 Byrdhill Road, Richmond VA 23228
Office: (804) 515-5146   Mobile: (804) 380-3350