Re: [jats-list] Re: [JATS-List:] Preprint DOI handling

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Re: [JATS-List:] Preprint DOI handling
From: "Bruce Rosenblum bruce@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:18:25 -0000
 Hi Evan,

I had an email exchange with Ed Pentz about this two weeks ago. The new
CrossRef policy (and I quote from his email) is:

"Crossref's policy is that the version of record should definitely have a
separate DOI from the working paper/preprint form. As you say, the
working paper form will have been cited and anyone following the citation
should go to what was cited. Of course, the working paper should make it
clear that there is a version of record/new version and have a prominent
link to it. The working paper/preprint and version of record are two
different citable items whether [the same publisher] publishes both or
they are published by different publishers. If they have the same DOI it
messes up the citation record"

The bold is my addition.

Just to be clear, the context of my original question to Ed was whether
there should be a new DOI even if the version of record is then published
by the same publisher who publishes the pre-print. I thought that case
might be different, but Ed's answer was that it is not different and
there should still be two DOIs

It was in the context of this new policy that I provided the guidance to
Caroline, i.e. separate DOIs for the pre-print and final, and use
related-article to reference the pre-print from the final. In this
context, then the only question is what's the appropriate attribute value
for related-article-type

Bruce