Re: [jats-list] Error in DTD subset using MSXML

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Error in DTD subset using MSXML
From: "B Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 22:16:26 -0000
Hi Charles b

The only thing I can think of would be to completely flatten the DTD,
resolving all of the parameter entities. That would create a bulky, completely
unreadable, but functional DTD that would *probably* work in MSXML. I say
*probably* because while it would get around this bug it might hit another.

There used to be DTD flattening tools floating around; there probably still
are.

b Tommie

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Howdy Folks,
>
> Slightly technical question here.
>
> I've subsetted JATS, starting with JATS 1.2d1 and just recently transferring
the altered content models to JATS 1.2 with MathML3 (XHTML only).

> The DTD validates fine in Oxygen (Xerxes), and XML documents validate fine
against it.

> However, when our engineers put it up in our .NET environment they got the
error: The parameter entity replacement text must nest properly within markup
declarations.

> I set up a custom validation in Oxygen to use MSXML.NET and my subset, and
alas, I get the same error. I then set up a validation using MSXML.NET and
JATS 1.2d1 (Archiving). I get the same errors here as well.

> So, maybe, it's not me?
>
> I've Duck Duck Go'd the error text and found various indications that this
is a result of a bug in MSXML, and of course Microsoft doesn't support it:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/microsoft.public.xml/3HlKr3WQXT
0
> https://www.w3.org/2002/04/xml_bugs/#bug2
>
> So, my question is: Is there anything I can do to edit the DTD to make it
work? Or does the very idea of using MSXML fill you with such horror that, for
goodness sake, will we please use Xerxes or RXP or maybe two rocks rubbed
together instead?

> Thanks,
> Charles

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.               https://www.mulberrytech.com
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML