Re: [jats-list] Identifying the typesetter for an article

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Identifying the typesetter for an article
From: "Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 21:15:09 -0000
Hi Julie b

I suggest you write up your functional requirements (that is, what information
you want to store, not necessarily how you want to tag it) and submit it as a
comment at:
 http://groups.niso.org/apps/group_public/add_comment.php?document_id=21029

Note: Requests to the JATS Standing Committee are far more likely to be
successful if they include real examples.

b Tommie

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Tommie b
>
> On your thought #1
>
>>> 1. This seems to me to be internal tracking information, not the sort of
content that is interchanged. So I am not sure it is within the scope of
JATS.

> I would argue that this metadata, even if only used internally, can be
integral to a JATS XML file. We have things like @publisher-id which are
presumably (though not always) used only by the publisher and not for
interchanging content. If a piece of metadata is deemed useful for the
community I don't think we should necessarily nix it if it's deemed
unessential for interchange. Surely this type of information helps in the
archiving of the content.

> Hi Vincent b
>
> Glad to know we aren't the only ones with the need for this. I also think
the ability to identify changes, transformations, source-type, etc. would be
great additions to JATS metadata. It would be very useful in our systems to
identify content coming from a particular type of sourcebfor instance, if a
journal article was back converted from a PDF, we use a different tailored
schematron rule set. We manage this via an ingestion workflow system, but
having that metadata directly in the XML could be beneficial in easing this
burden.

> I do like the use of the <event> elements here.
>
> Hi Sasha b
>
> We did briefly discuss using a processing instruction but found the system
implementation would be a bit difficult.