Re: [jats-list] Identifying the typesetter for an article

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Identifying the typesetter for an article
From: "Lizzi, Vincent vincent.lizzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 18:21:38 -0000
Hi Julie and Tommie,

I have a similar requirement to be able to identify the typesetter that
encoded the XML for an article. I also need to be able to identify subsequent
changes to the XML, for example transformations of the XML from an outside
source or from an earlier version of NLM/JATS to the current version of JATS.
This information is useful for our digital production teams to have readily
available in the metadata of the article XML. The custom-meta elements can
hold arbitrary information in key value pairs, which seemed like a good option
at first but is insufficient for our use cases. In our implementation of JATS
1.0 we used the DTD customization layer to add a custom element, which could
repeat and had attributes to hold the metadata. Currently we are upgrading to
JATS 1.2 and do not want to add custom elements so we are planning to use the
new <event> element. Here are a few examples. These are not final yet but I'm
happy to share and get feedback.

Typesetter / Prepress Vendor:

            <pub-history>
                <event event-type="tagger">
                    <event-desc>Perfect Typesetting</event-desc>
                </event>
            </pub-history>

(we used "tagger" in the attribute value but "typesetter" would be equally
good)

XML Conversion:

            <pub-history>
                <event event-type="provenance">
                    <event-desc>Received from XYZ in NLM 2.2 format and
converted to JATS 1.2</event-desc>
                    <date>
                        <day>12</day>
                        <month>9</month>
                        <year>2019</year>
                   </date>
                </event>
            </pub-history>

Typesetter / Prepress Vendor followed by XML conversion:

            <pub-history>
                <event event-type="tagger">
                    <event-desc>Perfect Typesetting</event-desc>
                </event>
                <event event-type="provenance">
                    <event-desc>Converted from TF JATS 1.0 to JATS
1.2</event-desc>
                    <date>
                        <day>12</day>
                        <month>9</month>
                        <year>2019</year>
                    </date>
                </event>
            </pub-history>

I'd be happy to get feedback on this use of <event> or other options.
Considering that two JATS users have identified a similar need would it worth
documenting and possibly adding to the examples in the Tag Library (possibly
under <custom-meta> and <event>)? Or would it be better to submit a comment to
propose a specific element to hold this information to be added in a future
version of JATS?

Thanks,
Vincent

Vincent M. Lizzi - Digital Production Manager
Taylor & Francis Group
530 Walnut St., Suite 850, Philadelphia, PA 19106
E-Mail:
vincent.lizzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:vincent.lizzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Phone: 215-606-4221
Fax: 215-207-0047
Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/

Taylor & Francis is a trading name of Informa UK Limited,
registered in England under no. 1072954

Information Classification: General