Re: [jats-list] Accessibility element?

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Accessibility element?
From: "B Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 14:31:49 -0000
Hi Vincent --

You bring up a good point. I had assumed that Ravit was using BITS metadata to
describe the PDF files themselves. This is a fairly common practice in two
scenarios:

  - when there is no XML of the full text there may be BITS  headers to aid in
    management and discovery of the available versions

  -  when there are presentation forms of the content (e.g., PDF or even print
on paper) in
     addition to the XML, the presentation forms may have their own BITS
records.

It makes very little sense to describe the accessibility of an XML file;
accessibility is about the presentation version. Or, in FRBR terms,
accessibility is a function of the MANIFESTATION, while the XML should
(generally) be considered an EXPRESSION of the work. (I can't quite believe I
am writing about FRBR on jats-list, but it seems like a reasonable way to make
this distinction.)

If the BITS file describes the PDF, it is reasonable for it to use
<custom-meta> for information about the accessibility of the document. If the
BITS file contains the full text of the work, and there is also a PDF,
<self-uri> is a good way to point to and describe the PDF, which is "another
version of this object".

-- Tommie

vincent.lizzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello Ravit and Tommie,
>
> This looks like a good use for custom-meta. If there is more than one PDF
then I wonder if custom-meta would be able to identify the accessibility level
of a particular PDF in the BITS model (Ibm more familiar with JATS). If PDF
files are identified in the XML using the self-uri element then possible a way
to identify the accessibility level would be to tag a named-content element
within self-uri. For example, this appears to be valid in BITS:

> <self-uri content-type="pdf" xlink:href="filename.pdf">
>     <named-content content-type="accessibility-level">AA</named-content>
> </self-uri>
>
> In JATS 1.2 Archiving the vocab attributes could be used to provide more
information, for example:

> <self-uri content-type="pdf" xlink:href="filename.pdf">
>     <named-content content-type="accessibility-level" vocab="WCAG 2.0"
vocab-identifier="https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/";
vocab-term="AA">AA</named-content>
> </self-uri>
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Vincent
>

> Information Classification: General

I would like to note it somehow in the metadata.