Re: [jats-list] JATS 1.2 Publishing vs CrossRef: single name tagging

Subject: Re: [jats-list] JATS 1.2 Publishing vs CrossRef: single name tagging
From: "Bruce Rosenblum bruce@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 17:20:42 -0000
Hi Matt,

Little bit of history: the Crossref documentation that you cite was written
by me in 2001. Because at the time reliable indexing and querying required
a nonempty surname, the recommendation was made to place single author
names in surname. The Crossref platform has, of course, evolved a lot in
eighteen years, and so the documentation may be out of date, that would be
a question for Crossref to answer.

Bruce

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 5:11 AM matt_g_broadhead@xxxxxxxxx
matt_g_broadhead@xxxxxxxxx <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (Further to this, I did find

https://www.biglist.com/lists/lists.mulberrytech.com/jats-list/archives/20131
0/msg00027.html,

<https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.2/element/given-names.html
>;
> there is no need to commit the tag abuse of calling the given name a
> surname. Most westernized single names (bPeleb, bPrinceb,
bBabyfaceb,
> bAztekb) are more likely to be retrieved properly if they are tagged as
> <surname>
> <https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.2/element/surname.html>
> s.
>
> But from Crossref:
>
> The surname of an author or editor. The surname, combined with given_name,
forms the name of an author or editor. Whenever possible, the given name
should not be included in the surname element. In cases where the given name
is not clear, as may happen with non-Western names or some societies in which
surnames are not distinguished, you may place the entire name in surname

> (This has come up because our platform flagged up some missing surnames when
depositing content.)

> I'd be grateful for insight.
>

> Yours
>

> Matt Broadhead
> European Respiratory Society
>
> Matt Broadhead | matt_g_broadhead@xxxxxxxxx | +44 (0)7866 627085
> email)
> email <>)

This email message and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, please immediately reply to the sender or call
617-932-1932 and delete the message from your email system. Thank you.
Bruce D. Rosenblum
Inera Inc.
19 Flett Road, Belmont, MA 02478
phone: 617-932-1932 (office)