Re: [jats-list] JATS 1.2 Publishing vs CrossRef: single name tagging

Subject: Re: [jats-list] JATS 1.2 Publishing vs CrossRef: single name tagging
From: "Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 23:56:11 -0000
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

JATS was very careful to allow just a <given-names>
field, since there are parts of the world where
given names is all they have, and they insist those are
NOT surnames, whatever the western systems force
them to do.

Thanks for warning us.

--Debbie

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Sadly the documentation is not out of date but this is a timely question as
we're updating our contributor info -  we currently only index 'surname' for
reference matching, so names without a surname must be included in the
'surname' field for Crossref purposes.

> We'll be addressing this in our next update, but for now we have to ask that
you commit tag abuse :(

> -Patricia (from Crossref)

by me in 2001. Because at the time reliable indexing and querying required a
nonempty surname, the recommendation was made to place single author names in
surname. The Crossref platform has, of course, evolved a lot in eighteen
years, and so the documentation may be out of date, that would be a question
for Crossref to answer.

> Bruce
> JATS-List info and archive
> EasyUnsubscribe (by email)

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron