Re: [jats-list] JATS 1.2 Publishing vs CrossRef: single name tagging

Subject: Re: [jats-list] JATS 1.2 Publishing vs CrossRef: single name tagging
From: "Alf Eaton eaton.alf@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 10:38:31 -0000
Given the later discussion in this thread around Crossref deposit I realise
I should've added that it's still necessary to convert the single name to a
surname for Crossref.

This is the Crossref XML for the article mentioned previously:
https://peerj.com/articles/196.unixref

Alf

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 at 10:28, Alf Eaton <eaton.alf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In case it's useful, my original question referred to below was for this
> article:
> https://peerj.com/articles/196.xml
>
> We ended up using this markup:
>
> <name name-style="given-only">
> <given-names>b&</given-names>
> </name>
>
> Which ended up in various places downstream:
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24281688
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmid/24281688/

https://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/efetch.fcgi?db=pmc&id=3817583&r
etmode=xml

> I see that the same author has another paper where the publisher chose to
> use name + surname, so it seems that either approach "works" - it's up to
> you which you find most semantically correct for the author's name (and
> suggests that it would be useful for JATS to have a tag or attribute which
> says that a name really is a mononym).

https://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/efetch.fcgi?db=pmc&id=4379979&r
etmode=xml

> Alf
>
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 at 10:11, matt_g_broadhead@xxxxxxxxx
> matt_g_broadhead@xxxxxxxxx <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> (Further to this, I did find

https://www.biglist.com/lists/lists.mulberrytech.com/jats-list/archives/20131
0/msg00027.html,

<https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.2/element/given-names.html
>;
>> there is no need to commit the tag abuse of calling the given name a
>> surname. Most westernized single names (bPeleb, bPrinceb,
bBabyfaceb,
>> bAztekb) are more likely to be retrieved properly if they are tagged
as
>> <surname>
>> <https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.2/element/surname.html>
>> s.
>>
>> But from Crossref:
>>
>> The surname of an author or editor. The surname, combined with given_name,
forms the name of an author or editor. Whenever possible, the given name
should not be included in the surname element. In cases where the given name
is not clear, as may happen with non-Western names or some societies in which
surnames are not distinguished, you may place the entire name in surname