Re: [jats-list] How to tag a podcast in a reference list

Subject: Re: [jats-list] How to tag a podcast in a reference list
From: "Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 18:34:15 -0000
On Jun 15, 2020, at 6:49 AM, James Gilbert j.gilbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> I recently encountered the following citation of a podcast. Currently, at
eLife, the only option we have would be to tag this as a website, but I
wondered if anyone was doing anything more specific for podcasts (and I
suppose other radio broadcasts) in terms of citation tagging?

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/smarty-plants

> For reference, we'll likely tag this as follows, once I get an accessed date
from the author!

>    <ref id="bib15">
>         <element-citation publication-type="web">
>             <person-group person-group-type="author">
>                 <collab>WNYC Studios</collab>
>             </person-group>
>             <year iso-8601-date="2018">2018</year>
>             <article-title>Smarty plants</article-title>
>             <source>Radiolab</source>
>             <ext-link ext-link-type="uri" xlink:href="WNYC Studios. 2018.
Smarty plants. Radiolab.
https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/smarty-plants
> </ext-link>
>             <date-in-citation
iso-8601-date="XXXXX">XXXXX</date-in-citation>
>         </element-citation>

Hello James--

The JATS Standing Committee has been working on enhancing
how citations are tagged. We realized that there are frequently
two or more levels of title when you need to cite a podcast,
radio broadcast series, or other episodic source. These titles
are not article titles, they are titles of lower-level hierarchical
parts, but the obvious solution (<part-title>) is documented to
apply only to books.

Currently, only <book-title>, <chapter-title> and
<source>, <article-title> provide two levels of hierarchy.

So the JATS Standing Committee has refined the description of
<part-title>. In the next release (currently in development)
the documentation for <part-title> will include:

            PART TITLE IN A CITATION
 Within a citation (<mixed-citation>,<element-citation>),
 the title of a subpart of a hierarchical source, for example,
 for an episode of a podcast or TV show. The <part-title>
 is the title of the episode; the top-level source (the
 name of the podcast, TV show, radio broadcast, etc.)
 would be tagged as the <source>.

And here is a podcast example:

<ref id="b1">
<mixed-citation publication-type="audio">
 <person-group person-group-type="author">
   <string-name><given-names>Nate</given-names></string-name>
 </person-group>
 <part-title>Butterflies with Doug Taron</part-title>.
 <source>The Show About Science</source>.
 <date-in-citation content-type="access-date">Accessed
   iso-8601-date="2016">2016</year>
 </date-in-citation>.
 <ext-link ext-link-type="uri" xmlns:xlink=
   "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-show-aboutscience/
id1046413761">
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-show-aboutscience/id1046413761
 </ext-link>.
</mixed-citation>
</ref>

[Note: the value of the @publication-type (publication-type="audio"
in the sample above) might also be "podcast", "web", "onlne",
"audio-recording", etc. If the @publication-type is NOT "podcast",
a JATS user could use @specific-use to call it a "podcast". There are
no fixed rules and many options.]

[IMPORTANT NOTE: This is NOT a tag set change, you can use this
immediately in any of the current JATS Tag Sets and most older ones
as well, any published after <part-title> was added to the citations.]

JATS 1.3d2 is revising now, and it will have this new description,
more explanatory text, and further examples. [I share this
from the JATS standing committee, with permission.]

--Debbie

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron