Re: [jats-list] How to tag a podcast in a reference list

Subject: Re: [jats-list] How to tag a podcast in a reference list
From: "James Gilbert j.gilbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:56:55 -0000
Dear Debbie and Mark,

Thanks for responding!

The use of part-title sounds like it would be a great way to proceed with
references of this kind, alongside an appropriate publication-type value.

I'll bring it up with the eLife team for a possible future development on
handling this kind of reference.

Thanks again,

James

------------------------------

James Gilbert
Production Editor, eLife

 T: +44 1223 855374

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 19:34, Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <
jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2020, at 6:49 AM, James Gilbert j.gilbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
> >
> > I recently encountered the following citation of a podcast. Currently,
> at eLife, the only option we have would be to tag this as a website, but I
> wondered if anyone was doing anything more specific for podcasts (and I
> suppose other radio broadcasts) in terms of citation tagging?
> >
> > WNYC Studios. 2018. Smarty plants. Radiolab.
> https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/smarty-plants
> >
> > For reference, we'll likely tag this as follows, once I get an accessed
> date from the author!
> >
> >    <ref id="bib15">
> >         <element-citation publication-type="web">
> >             <person-group person-group-type="author">
> >                 <collab>WNYC Studios</collab>
> >             </person-group>
> >             <year iso-8601-date="2018">2018</year>
> >             <article-title>Smarty plants</article-title>
> >             <source>Radiolab</source>
> >             <ext-link ext-link-type="uri" xlink:href="WNYC Studios.
> 2018. Smarty plants. Radiolab.
> https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/smarty-plants
> > </ext-link>
> >             <date-in-citation
> iso-8601-date="XXXXX">XXXXX</date-in-citation>
> >         </element-citation>
>

> Hello James--
>
> The JATS Standing Committee has been working on enhancing
> how citations are tagged. We realized that there are frequently
> two or more levels of title when you need to cite a podcast,
> radio broadcast series, or other episodic source. These titles
> are not article titles, they are titles of lower-level hierarchical
> parts, but the obvious solution (<part-title>) is documented to
> apply only to books.
>
> Currently, only <book-title>, <chapter-title> and
> <source>, <article-title> provide two levels of hierarchy.
>
> So the JATS Standing Committee has refined the description of
> <part-title>. In the next release (currently in development)
> the documentation for <part-title> will include:
>
>             PART TITLE IN A CITATION
>  Within a citation (<mixed-citation>,<element-citation>),
>  the title of a subpart of a hierarchical source, for example,
>  for an episode of a podcast or TV show. The <part-title>
>  is the title of the episode; the top-level source (the
>  name of the podcast, TV show, radio broadcast, etc.)
>  would be tagged as the <source>.
>
> And here is a podcast example:
>
> <ref id="b1">
> <mixed-citation publication-type="audio">
>  <person-group person-group-type="author">
>    <string-name><given-names>Nate</given-names></string-name>
>  </person-group>
>  <part-title>Butterflies with Doug Taron</part-title>.
>  <source>The Show About Science</source>.
>  <date-in-citation content-type="access-date">Accessed
>    iso-8601-date="2016">2016</year>
>  </date-in-citation>.
>  <ext-link ext-link-type="uri" xmlns:xlink=
>    "https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-show-aboutscience/
> [...]

elifesciences.org <https://elifesciences.org>

eLife Sciences
Publications, Ltd is a limited liability non-profit non-stock corporation
incorporated in the State of Delaware, USA, with company number 5030732,
and is registered in the UK with company number FC030576 and branch number
BR015634 at the address Westbrook Centre, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 1YG.