Re: [jats-list] Re: Trouble accessing JATS DTD URLs

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Re: Trouble accessing JATS DTD URLs
From: "Chandi Perera cperera@xxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 21:59:31 -0000
Hi all

  We first noticed this issue Tuesday morning Australian time.  We had the
resolver failing to resolve catalogs across multiple customers on multiple
installations.

We traced the problem to the DOCTYPE declaration on our catalogs and some
DTDs like NISO STS.

<!DOCTYPE catalog PUBLIC

"-//OASIS//DTD Entity Resolution XML Catalog V3.0//EN"

"http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/release/1.0/catalog.dtd";>

It seems we missed include a local version of the DTD for the builds  and
were pulling the file from OASIS.

According to the catalog.dtd on the OASIS website this file was updated
around the same time as our failures.

It seems the file as of Tuesday had an issue with the nextCatalog tag as
well though we have not investigated this further, but our engineers have
informed me that the catalog DTD on the OASIS website was updated again
overnight and the nextCatalog tag is now ok.  This issue is to be confirmed.

Lesson for us here was to ensure we always maintain a local version of all
the DTDs and use catalogs to ensure we use local copies.

Irony of the resolver failing due to the catalog.dtd was not lost on any of
us.

Chandi