Re: [jats-list] Can an Editor Write Schematron?

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Can an Editor Write Schematron?
From: "Alexander Powell ap.cybercraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 09:39:47 -0000
It was a feeling that Schematron imposes rather a heavy burden on those who
wish to check their content, and probably an excessive one for your typical
editor (who would lack the time or motivation to dig deep into technical
arcana and CS major-like ways of thinking), that led me to try my hand at
creating a validation tool 'for everyone else'.

CheckMate was the result (see
http://www.epistemic-systems.co.uk/cm/cm-index.htm). It was used
successfully by a UK university press client of mine for a couple of years,
who lacked the technical resource (people) to implement Schematron for
them, or write rules, or possibly even execute scripts and comprehend the
results, and lacked the budget to acquire those capabilities.

I ran out of time to develop the tool to the point I'd hoped - its
scripting language could do with a few more predicates or what you will,
there are some residual issues in various areas, and probably a few
outright bugs still to be put right. It will never compete with Schematron
for sheer depth of capability, but hopefully it's possible to see what it's
trying to achieve. I do think there's a place for something like this that
majors on ease of use.

Best,
Alex

Dr Alexander Powell