[jats-list] Translations for section titles

Subject: [jats-list] Translations for section titles
From: "Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex gerrit.imsieke@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 18:42:42 -0000
Hi Vincent (and list),

Yesterday after your presentation and during the JATS-Con social (or happy) hour I complained that if you have a multiple-language document in which you choose to tag your content with block-level items and their translations side-by-side, you can't have translations for section titles.

I was thinking of someone who followed the "content items in two or more languages" approach (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK579699/#lizzi-content-items-in-two-or-more-languages) by adding a translation for each figure, table-wrap, p etc. element that is allowed within a section, side by side.

While you can have multiple figures, tables, paragraphs etc. in a row, you can't provide translation elements for elements that are allowed exactly once in a section, in particular, for the title element.

But there's a workaround: You can have the title translations as inline content in the title element, like so:

<sec id="sec1">
<title><named-content content-type="title-content" lang-group="sec1-content" xml:lang="en">English Title</named-content>
<named-content content-type="title-content" lang-group="sec1-content" xml:lang="fr">Titre franC'ais</named-content>
<named-content content-type="title-content" lang-group="sec1-content" xml:lang="de">Deutscher Titel</named-content></title>
</sec>

So I think it's feasible by and large to pursue a block-level translation approach, with minor sacrifices where you need to process inline translations.

(Note: I'm not advocating such an approach, but it came up occasionally when discussing how to tag multilingual content with customers.)

Gerrit

-- Gerrit Imsieke GeschC$ftsfC<hrer / Managing Director le-tex publishing services GmbH Weissenfelser Str. 84, 04229 Leipzig, Germany Phone +49 341 355356 110, Fax +49 341 355356 510 gerrit.imsieke@xxxxxxxxx, http://www.le-tex.de

GeschC$ftsfC<hrer / Managing Directors:
Gerrit Imsieke, Svea Jelonek, Thomas Schmidt