Re: [jats-list] Though breaks, dinkus, asterism, and the like

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Though breaks, dinkus, asterism, and the like
From: "Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 16:30:55 -0000
Actually, the JATS documentation for @sec-type says

  Although designed to accept any text as its value, for
  BEST PRACTICE, this attribute should be used only if the
  section is one of the types listed below and should otherwise
  be omitted. This is a way to provide information classing
  to structural sections, for searching and grouping purposes.

In other words, MOST sections should be one of the named types,
for interchange and searching, but if you have a special use
case, e.g., for classing "thought break" sections, go for it.
There is a reason the attribute will accept any value.

Most of the time, we should all try to do it the same way, but
when we NEED something different, we have it. Feel free to
make up your own @sec-type.

That is the typical JATS philosophy.

--Debbie

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Ibll look into this.
> Interestingly, itbs not possible to use @content-type directly on a <sec>
> Like so :
>
> <sec content-type="thought-break">
> </sec>
>
> Therebs @sec-type, but the documentation says you shouldnbt use
arbitrary values here.

> Denis

attribute on a section <title> element.

> <sec>
>
>     <title content-type="asterism"> * * * </title>
>
> This is what we do at erudit.org. By using a particular content-type, this
allows us not to display the asterisk in the summary of the article, but to
use the formatting of the titles for its display.

> Mathieu
>

> Le 2022-06-01 C  05 h 42, denis.maier@xxxxxxxx a C)crit :
> Addendum: One suggestion Ibve already received (by Gerrit) is :
> > I donbt think therebs a special element available for such an
basterismb, so maybe use p with a specific @content-type, for example, <p
content-type="asterism">* * *</p>.

> But maybe there are other options?

dinkus or an asterism) to denote a thought break. How would you tag that? I
donbt think therebs a dedicated element, right? Any suggestions?

> Best,
> Denis
> JATS-List info and archive
> EasyUnsubscribe (by email)
> --
> Mathieu Pigeon
>
> Analyste de donnC)es
> Data Analyst
> mathieu.pigeon@xxxxxxxxxx
>

> JATS-List info and archive
> EasyUnsubscribe (by email)

Deborah A Lapeyre		mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.	http://www.mulberrytech.com
Rockville, MD 20851		Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron