Re: [jats-list] How to best deal with long books

Subject: Re: [jats-list] How to best deal with long books
From: "Mary McRae mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:58:15 -0000
One approach would be to reuse the individual book-parts by creating a book or
book-part that then uses includes to pull in the individual segments using
<xi:include> elements that point to the files:

<book-part>
    <xi:include href=bb&b/>
   <xi:include href=bb&b/>
</book-part>

These files can also contain metadata, headings, etc. that go before, after,
and in between entries.

If the files are being managed in a CCMS, you could write a routine that would
select the individual entries based on some ruleset and concatenate them for
further processing (such as creating HTML or PDF).

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> another question regarding our catalog of incunables...
>
> As things currently stand, webll have a project with about more than 400
different BITS files, each containing one `book-part`, i.e, one incunable.
Now, whatbs the best approach for having both the individual files as well
as a complete volume? And maybe even have some sort of grouped extracts, say :
all the incunables that start with B+AB; in one file, those that start with
letter B+BB; in another file, and so on?

> How would you deal with that? Does that make sense? Are there some
established best practices for project organization? (In the end, Ibll need
to go from the XMLs to HTML, and maybe also to PDF, webll see.)