Re: [niso-sts] Question regarding alternative and description text

Subject: Re: [niso-sts] Question regarding alternative and description text
From: "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx" <niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 20:20:59 -0000
Rereading the documentation, I think I found the key phrase I was looking for:

"non-visual element"

... found for both elements. So, I guess that is definitive that I have no rendering obligations outside of those used for assistive access, and so I conclude it must not contain normative content.

Although I am a bit worried when I read for <long-desc>:

  "... explains both the visual form of the chart
   and significance of its findings."

... because I would think "significance" borders on being normative. If the long description is to be assistive regarding an impairment preventing the visualization of a graphic or table or formula, any accompanying general text would/should already have normative significance for all readers and, therefore, should not be in assistive content that not all readers access.

Anyway ... I have my direction.

So I withdraw my question ... sorry for taking up the bandwidth.

https://www.niso-sts.org/TagLibrary/niso-sts-TL-1-0-html/element/alt-text.html
https://www.niso-sts.org/TagLibrary/niso-sts-TL-1-0-html/element/long-desc.html