Re: [niso-sts] Question regarding alternative and description text

Subject: Re: [niso-sts] Question regarding alternative and description text
From: "Liam R. E. Quin liam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 20:50:17 -0000
On Mon, 2023-11-13 at 20:00 +0000, G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> My thought is that a PDF or paper rendering would (typically) hide
> this content from the reader. As a publisher of said content, do I
> have any obligation to render these elements visibly due to them
> possibly being normative?

PDF documents can certainly contain image descriptions, and the alt tag
in PDF should be used for that where alt-text is available.

Ibd consider formatting an image-description as a secondary caption in
PDF. After all, someone might be using a text reader on a PDF file.

What you are really asking is, "can i make this document unusable by
people I don't care about". Which isn't what i think you actually mean
to ask :-) but is the effect.

A paper rendering, however, could reasonably ignore alt-text and could
either ignore the long descriptions or put them in an appendix.

liam

--
Liam Quin,B https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/
Barefoot Web-slave, antique illustrations: B http://www.fromoldbooks.org