XML Transformation Language (was Re: removing HTML flow objects?)

Subject: XML Transformation Language (was Re: removing HTML flow objects?)
From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 09:30:48
At 10:48 22/05/98 -0400, David Megginson wrote:
[...]

>There is room for a simple XML Transformation Language (XTL) sharing
>much of the structure and syntax of XSL -- you could use XTL to create
>XML, HTML, or even generalised SGML output.

I would support this - my early excursions into SGML used the CoST tool
which allowed transformation on the ESIS stream. I believe that it was
consciously decided that XSL should not be a transformation language. This
leaves a big gap for those of who are more concerned with processing
content rather than rendering. Both are important, but the current XSL
requirements are increasingly related to precision and flexibility of
rendering.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg