removing HTML flow objects?

Subject: removing HTML flow objects?
From: David Megginson <ak117@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 10:48:07 -0400
Ed Burns writes:

 > What's this about removing HTML flow objects?  The ability to
 > render XML/XSL into HTML is a major boon.  Also, the decision to
 > include HTML flow objects for ease of adoption was a sound one.
 > Please give me more info on this troubling development.

I don't think that the first point was as much of a boon as one might
think: the HTML flow object set supported was nearly useless for
pre-CSS browsers (such as the still-widely-deployed Netscape 3.0)
since it didn't include most basic HTML element types like <UL>.

There is room for a simple XML Transformation Language (XTL) sharing
much of the structure and syntax of XSL -- you could use XTL to create
XML, HTML, or even generalised SGML output.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson                 david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx