Differences between CSS and XSL.

Subject: Differences between CSS and XSL.
From: Hakon Lie <howcome@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:43:21 +0200 (Europe de l'Ouest (Heure d'été))
sonja.kangas@xxxxxx wrote:

 > I have been looking for more detailed information
 > on the differences between CDD and XSL. Often
 > it just reads that "css is simpler and XSL...
 > etc." I would like to find out more than that.

The formatting parts of XSL and CSS will be quite similar. For
example, you will be able to use all CSS1 and CSS2 properties and
values in XSL with the same meaning as in CSS. Similarly, any
additional formatting functionality that XSL expose will be described
in a way so that it can be available from CSS. For W3C, it's very
important that all formatting functionality described in our
recommendations uses the same underlying model and the same
terminology. We have started work on a W3C Formatting Model which will
describe the undelying model onto which HTML, CSS, MathML, SMIL and
XSL are based.

Regards,

-h&kon

H   å   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@xxxxxx      http://www.w3.org/people/howcome
World     W      i     d     e       Web  Consortium