Re: 2.6 patterns: let's try variations on the XML syntax

Subject: Re: 2.6 patterns: let's try variations on the XML syntax
From: Dave Peterson <davep@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:14:53 -0400
At 10:33 AM -0400 8/25/98, Scott Lawton wrote:

>But, what's the goal?  To pick the best syntax for macros, programming
>constructs and template match, or to express as much of XSL in XML as is
>reasonable?

"As much...as is reasonable"...But "reasonable" is in the eye of the
beholder.  How many mathematicians are willing to do real math in MathML?
Have you ever run into a serious program-writing interface that shielded
the programmer from the syntax of the language?  I'm not *that* optimistic
about XML's universality.  Granted, probably most any programming *can* be
expressed as an XML document, but should it?  (Can you imagine creating
a program-writing tool that kept your structured C++ code as XML?)

Dave Peterson
SGMLWorks!

davep@xxxxxxx