Re: Doubts regarding XSL and DOM

Subject: Re: Doubts regarding XSL and DOM
From: "Amit Rekhi" <amitr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 17:27:09 +0530
Paul,
>Object models do not query source trees. Query languages query source
>trees. XSL has a very simple query language.
But what if I want to "traverse" my XML source tree from XSL apart from
"querying" it?

1) How would I go about doing that?
In this case XSL needs 2 things :-
(Pl. correct me if I'm wrong)

a) XSL needs to be more than just a query language.
b) An object model would be needed to enable the traversal

I think a query facility + traversal facility should both be provided to
enable full source XML document control thru XSL.
Therefore I ask :-

1) Why not have DOM interfaces along with pattern match syntax to enable
full XML src. document control?

2) whether or not there is facility to incorporate DOM interfaces within XSL
seperate from the query pattern syntax it already has?

3) Does having such a "traversal"  facility go against the design goals of
XSL? In other words is it something that goes outside the domain of XSL?

Regards,

AMIT