Re: Doubts regarding XSL and DOM

Subject: Re: Doubts regarding XSL and DOM
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 08:33:02 -0500
Amit Rekhi wrote:

> It's the "document transformation" part that XSL achieves that makes me feel
> that some kind of an object model (DOM in my case) is needed. The reason
> being that any tool which can transform a source tree should also support an
> object model to query the source tree.That is the reason why I was thinking
> of XSL rule patterns and DOM interfaces together in XSL at the same level.

Object models do not query source trees. Query languages query source
trees. XSL has a very simple query language. The W3C will be working on
more advanced ones in the future.

Marge: "It's almost as if Snake is killing from beyond the grave."
Lisa: "I warned you that capital punishment wouldn't be a deterrent."
	- The Simpson's halloween special: "Hell Toupee"