Re: Doubts regarding XSL and DOM

Subject: Re: Doubts regarding XSL and DOM
From: "Amit Rekhi" <amitr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:03:29 +0530
Paul,
            I realise my ques.'s were pretty dumb and were rooted in my lack
of the DOM spec. knowledge.Sorry for being unclear about what I was trying
to ask. :-)

>What do you mean by "traverse"? Do you want to process a node elsewhere in
>a tree?
By "traversal" I meant full freedom of accessing anything to everything in
my src. XML tree. By your reply I get a feeling that all types of
"traversals" (the way I refer to it) should be possible through the pattern
syntax. DOM comes no way in the picture. Am I right?

> So is your question whether XSL should have an embedded programming
language?
Yes. I guess that is what all my doubts boil down to, since if I want DOM
interfaces , I'll need a programming language (say JavaScript), so yes it
does boil down to the ques. you stated.
The reason why I thought of DOM within XSL was since the earlier versions of
XSL supported a read- only DOM like interface for the src. XML tree which is
missing in this spec.

                    Thanks for your time and clearing my doubts,

AMIT