Re: syntax feedback

Subject: Re: syntax feedback
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:47:22 -0500
At 04:19 PM 12/13/98 -0600, Paul Prescod wrote:
>So that's a data point from the low end and the very high end. XSL is
>destined to be a runaway hit.

Two data points are not statistically significant.  Neither of course, are
my four data points, all roughly united in saying "what is this <expletive
deleted>?" regarding XSL.  (Of course, they were from people who work with
CSS on a daily basis.)

The W3C has made some very strange moves, but putting CSS and XSL into
direct competition is one of the strangest.  I fear it may hobble both, as
developers struggle over which to support with the most resources.  XSL is
more 'powerful' in that it provides transformation, but otherwise I'm
afraid it's not that exciting - unless you've had experience with the tools
that have inspired its particular direction of development.

I'll stay out of the battle on particulars, but the mere fact that CSS and
XSL are in direct contention is a matter for deep concern.
Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Cookies
Sharing Bandwidth
Building XML Applications (February)