Re: syntax feedback

Subject: Re: syntax feedback
From: Robyn & John <rmartin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:31:43 +1100
"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:
> The W3C has made some very strange moves, but putting CSS and XSL into
> direct competition is one of the strangest.  I fear it may hobble both, as
> developers struggle over which to support with the most resources.  XSL is
> more 'powerful' in that it provides transformation, but otherwise I'm
> afraid it's not that exciting - unless you've had experience with the tools
> that have inspired its particular direction of development.

Simon, I am using XML for serialisation of objects which have nothing
at all to do with the web or HTML or CSS. One day we might use XSL to
process those objects. It seems to me that XML is presently thought
of as a way to write web content. That's simply not true, I expect
it will become the standard way to store objects. Once you remove the
web from the equation, XSL is useful and CSS is not. Equally there are
situations where CSS is useful and XSL is not. I think the two are in
competition only from a web designer viewpoint, and for XML, that is
not where the main game is at.

John