re: syntax feedback

Subject: re: syntax feedback
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:17:46 +0000
YES YES YES!

Sorry, couldn't resist.. chill out :)

To address this emotive post in a more serious vein.

First off, it's been made quite clear that XML/XSL are not meant to replace
HTML/CSS but to coexist, and largely be available for larger scale Web
applications. So for people doing their own Web site on Geocities, in all
likelyhood they'll stick with HTML/CSS, which in many respects is easier
than XML/CSS. So in this light, yes, a lot of people will take one look at
XML/XSL and reject it out of hand.

Personaly I took one look at HTML/CSS a long time ago and rejected, but
I've been stuck with it and will be a little while longer. That doesn't
mean there's anything wrong with HTML/CSS, just that it's not suitable for
the tasks I perfom.

Reading throught the other posts in this thread, I see more comments asking
why we can't just use CSS.

The whole idea of XML is to break the data away from style considerations
once and for all. CSS as it stands can't reorder, which means that you
have to mark-up your XML in the order you want it displayed... oops another
broken model.

XML is not CSS, it's not in competition with CSS, it's not replacing CSS,
it's a different language based on a model that is flexible and can be
extended. The success of this can be seen from similar developments with
XML Query Language developments. Hopefuly at the end of the day we'll have
all the languages we need to do the job all based on a unified model. Not a
confusing mish-mash of languages. Seems to me all we've got to contend with
is / instead of > ...::shrug:: I don't see the problem....And who's bright
ideas was pseudo-classes? Talk about a hack. Did the WG run out of Jolt
Cola or something? Anyhow.

There's an awful lot of developers out there using ASP, PHP, LiveWire or
whatever to transform data into renderable output. Compared the the hoops
jumped through there XSL is a breeze. I suspect that such developers will
take to the XSL pattern matching rather well, as such developers are
normaly used to considering HTML out of order. I feel that it is into this
breach that XSL will best fit.

And trust me, the vast majority of the Web community takes one look at a
large ASP/PHP application and screams with anguish.

XSL isn't supposed to be light and fluffy, and if it wind up light and
fluffy all those databases are going to be ditching their data onto the web
through procedural languages rather than XSL. The "average HTML" programmer
will remain happy with CSS. Please lets not break XSL just so that Geocites
can be full of XSL delivered pages. The Homepage doesn't need XSL. Large
scale Web applications do.

And my own experience here at work still tells me that developers from
rigidly type conventional language background have a hard time wrapping
their heads around XML/XSL. The Web developers seem to take top it very
quickly.

So I repeat... YES YES YES! :P

Cheers
     Guy.