RE: alternating tags in a list?

Subject: RE: alternating tags in a list?
From: "Lawton, Scott" <slawton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 18:06:20 -0500
> What if I'm not doing Java? What if I'm writing an XSL implementation for
> an IBM mainframe? (guess what...I know someone who is) What if I'm writing
> an XSL implementation in Python (guess what...). What if I'm writing an
> XSL implementation in an XML editor (guess what...). What if I'm embedding
> XSL in a document repository?

1. Java is a reasonably portable solution.  (e.g. I'll bet Python could
invoke it, and an XML editor could (even if it's written in something other
than Java) and the code that provides access to a repository could).

2. That a Java version exists (with source as I recall) makes it much easier
for a developer to create another version.

3. I suspect there's at least one cross-platform C++ version available,
though I haven't looked at mozilla.org to find out.  (Yes, there are
languages other than Java & C++ but these two are a pretty good start.)

4. I suspect that the JavaScript part isn't "make or break"; there are
plenty of other implementation issues with XSL.  And, to the extent that XSL
provides equivalent power put in a declarative fashion, the implementation
is likely to require much more work compared to leaving the tricky stuff to
JavaScript.

Scott