RE: XSL with scripting

Subject: RE: XSL with scripting
From: "Pawson, David" <DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 10:13:02 -0000
JC wrote:

 At this stage, the kind of input I would find most useful
would be a representative selection of transformation problems that
can't be solved using the current XSL WD and that one might reasonably
expect to be able to solve with an extensibility mechanism. (If anybody
steps up to this, please supply actual source and result XML documents
so that there's no doubt exactly what the problem is.)

DaveP:

Still unsure that this is 'right' for XSL, but here goes in reply to James
request.
The scenario is converting XML into embosser ready braille.

Below is a tranform required which I don't believe can be done with
XSL as is. Some access is needed to another environment to perform
the data changes required.
the input of plain text is converted to ASCII (or Unicode) contracted
text, ready for XSL to formatting.

another point of note. I don't believe a scripting language will suffice
in terms of response times. A compiled version takes an 'appreciable
time' due to the number of table accesses required.

James suggests an alternative, which leaves me with a question,
is this processing better done using the DOM interface, to modify
the source document , then pass to XSL for formatting?

regards, DaveP

------------------- Input file follows --------------------
<simpdoc>
<title>This is a Simple Document</title>
<list>
<litem>This is a list of item which will show how the text is
<b>formatted</b> when the
line runs over.</litem>
<litem>This is a new list item.</litem>
</list>
<p2>This is a subparagraph level 1.</p2>
<p3>This is a subparagraph level 2.</p3>
<section>
<head>This is a section</head>
correctly after
any heading which may precede it.</p>
<points>
<point>This is point which will be used for things such as page referenced
items when doing editorial
instructions.</point>
<point>This is another point</point>
</points>
<subsect1>
<head>This is a subsection level 1</head>
<list>
<litem>This is a list</litem>
<litem>This is another point</litem>
</list>
<subsect2>
<head>This is a subsection level 2</head>
</subsect2>
</subsect1>
</section>
<section>
<head>This is a new main section</head>
</section>
<end>
<name>Stephen Phippen</name>
<date>11th June 1998</date>
</end>
</simpdoc>

------------------- Tranformed output follows --------------------
<simpdoc>
<title>? is a simple docu;t</title>
<list>
l9e runs ov]4</litem>
<litem>? is a new li/ item4</litem>
</list>
<p2>? is a subp&gt;agraph level #a4</p2>
<p3>? is a subp&gt;agraph level #b4</p3>
<section>
<head>? is a sec;n</head>
any h1d+ : may prec$e x4</p>
<points>
<point>? is po9t : w 2 us$ = ?+s s* z page ref]5c$ items :5 do+ $itorial
9/ruc;ns4</point>
<point>? is ano!r po9t</point>
</points>
<subsect1>