Re: XSL with scripting

Subject: Re: XSL with scripting
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 17:45:57 +0700
Pawson, David wrote

> Still unsure that this is 'right' for XSL, but here goes in reply to James
> request.
> The scenario is converting XML into embosser ready braille.
>
> Below is a tranform required which I don't believe can be done with
> XSL as is. Some access is needed to another environment to perform
> the data changes required.
> the input of plain text is converted to ASCII (or Unicode) contracted
> text, ready for XSL to formatting.

Thanks for the helpful example. I think this is exactly the sort of
thing that an extension mechanism ought to be able to deal with. Is all
text in a document contracted or can there be some elements whose
content is not contracted?  Are different contraction rules applied to
different parts of the document? Is the contraction process just a
matter of mapping each word to an contracted form, or is it more
complicated than that?

James