Re: What about changing the rules?

Subject: Re: What about changing the rules?
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:24:38 +0000
Hi.

One might say that you an describing an anarchists collective.

Don't get me wrong, unlike most I don't see the label collective as an
insult, and the word anarchy doesn't immediately conjure up images of
petrol bomb throwing rioters :)

And yes, in the past such collectives have proved successful. You might
care to go have a trawl of www.tao.ca in the search of collective economic
models. There are also a couple of mailing lists that may be able to help
you nail down the financial side of such a venture.

For those who say that a collective generating $x revenue, when split among
the members yields only $0.50 or whatever nonsense. Think about it. Any
viable commercial institution today that generates revenue gives its
employees far less than an equal share of profit, and yet people manage to
draw a living wage from it. Don't confuse profit with turnover. Wages in a
traditional model are part of the turnover and so when one looks at
splitting the profit we end up with a small figure.

If we look at a successful institution with several thousand employees,
with not wages, and then look at splitting the now much much profit margin
of that company among the employees, we end up with far bigger figures.

As for how you allocate shares for labour. If one thinks for a second as
shares in terms of currency, and casts ones mind back to corporate currency
popular in the US at the turn of the century, that might be cashed in for
hard currency, then a payment scheme can indeed be worked out.

Anything a corporation can do a collective can do. the only difference is a
collective doesn't syphon of monies, or push them toward the top, but
evenly ditributes them on a fair and commonly agreed basis.

Anyhow, enough off topic rambling from me.

The matter is very interesting and has much merit. I'd be pleased if you
would keep me informed, especialy if you form a mailing list for this
matter.

Cheers

     Guy Murphy
     Web Developer