RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

Subject: RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?
From: Daniel Austin <daniela@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:49:02 -0800
Hi Ken,

	It's a bug, they know about it. Also, I was interested to see that
your article(s) on "HTML-NG" and on the WDVL
don't make much mention of XHTML. The current draft of XHTML 1.0 is
currently in last call to go to PR, and is essentially final, barring a few
errata. Also the first public version of the XHTML modularization draft will
be available from W3C tomorrow. Hopefully you can find some space to mention
us in your articles.

	As a long-time supporter and former author for the WDVL, I am glad
to see that someone is covering XML. Please say hello to Alan and his wife
for me.

Regards,

D-

(speaking for myself, rather than any working groups or corporations)

Daniel Austin, Director of Development, Creative Services, CNET
daniela@xxxxxxxx <mailto:daniela@xxxxxxxx> 415-395-7800 x1438
"To change the old into the new, and the shapes of things to come..."

http://members.home.com/kensall/tests/
http://members.home.com/kensall/tests/collection1pubbugs.xml
http://members.home.com/kensall/tests/collection1.dtd

There are three errors that _should_ be detected in collection1pubbugs.xml
with respect to the collection1.dtd:

   1.The Value element is not defined in the DTD.
   2.The attribute "Publisher" within the Published element should be
"publisher", as per the DTD.
   3.Although Notes is a valid element for a Book, it is not valid for a CD,
according to the DTD.

Am I missing something? Is there some buried option that I have to enable to
get IE5 to consult my DTD? I've confirmed that it is _looking_ for the right
DTD; when I change the DOCTYPE line so that the reference is a non-existent
file, IE5 does complain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to complete this example
for my next article for WDVL (below).

- Ken Sall                           ksall@xxxxxxx, kensall@xxxxxxxx,
ken@xxxxxxxx
- Century Computing Division         http://www.cen.com/