Re: XML on Gecko

Subject: Re: XML on Gecko
From: "Richard Lander" <rlander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 08:18:26 -0500
 Thanks for all the help. I've got a few more questions and comments.

> I didn't mean to imply a sequence. I meant, change (add, delete,
> reorder) the things you want,, and perform he identity transform on
> everything else.

I'm not familiar with 'identity transform'. I assume that is some XSL
function that retains XML markup as opposed to transforming it.

> > I think I'll adopt the sort of process that I
> > think you are suggesting.  Thanks. Your approach is certainly nicer and
> > actually displaying XML. I've not played with the CSS side of IE5 much
since
> > the release but I believe that it has trouble resolving entities.
>
> That would be the XML part rather than the CSS part, entity management.

Well, yes, you would think so. My problem is that IE5 processes my entities,
in the internal subset, when I use an XSL ss but not when I use a CSS ss.
What gives? Do I have to pre-process my document using XT to resolve the
entities? Is that the problem?

You can look at http://pdbeam.uwaterloo.ca/~rlander/Testing/about.xml for
xml+xsl
You can look at http://pdbeam.uwaterloo.ca/~rlander/Testing/about2.xml for
xml+css

The files are the same but the second lacks the XSL PI that the first
includes.

The XSL ss is more mature than the CSS one, so don't expect much in terms of
aesthetic appeal from the second doc.

> Do you have a test case that shows where entities are failing?

Yes, above.

Thanks,

Richard.