Re: XML on Gecko

Subject: Re: XML on Gecko
From: "Richard Lander" <rlander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 08:33:05 -0500
I am dissapointed to hear about XLink. That really ties us to HTML. If we
can't use xml:link, can we use <html:a>, provided we declare the HTML
namespace in our XT produced transormed XML?

If so, then I might transform <LINK file"somefile">asdad</LINK> to <html:a
href="somefile">asdad</html:a> and <GRAPHIC
file="some_entity_or_some_file"/> to <html:img src="somefile"/> requiring
entity resolution in the transform if an entity is used.

Thanks for the help with XLink use. I'm sure others took good from that too.

> > 2. resolving tables - using CSS2 'display' values for the various
components
> > of tables
>
> Yes. Mozilla implements at least some of these, not sure about IE5

So, table resolution is 'maybe'? Great! Might we need to use <html:table>
for resolution?

> Well, the general discussion was using both XSL and CSS together, so it
> seems on-topic to some extent. FOs implementations are starting to
> become available, in FOP and in Indelv; for now, the CSS support is a
> lot more mature and, once freed from its uneasy cohabitation with HTML,
> it works a lot better.

Great. Thanks for the help. CSS is pretty good and easy. I look forward to
full XSL so that we can do all that we want in one place with one language.
Then again, that may change too. I've got partial DSSSL, CSS *2 (XML and
transformed HTML display) and XSL * 2 (IE5 and XT)stylesheets bouncing
around my place, allowing me to render XML documents for various purposes. I
can imagine that new XMLers feel quite stretched, needing to learn so many
different languages. Hopefully XML to PDF and RTF tools become popular with
FOs so that we are not tied to DSSSL and Jade for paper publishing, although
they are quite good. I'd merely like more choice.

Richard.