Re: XML is broken (was Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD toValidate?)

Subject: Re: XML is broken (was Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD toValidate?)
From: Andy Dent <dent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 16:42:44 +0800
At 10:04 +0800 3/4/99, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>One thing that's bothered me about every CSS
>implementation I've seen is that none of them provide support for users
>choosing different styles from a list of choices.  They all seem stuck on
>'the document specifies a single presentation for its content' somehow.

This is one reason why I factored our initial styling model for our
report-writer into separate <layout> and <style> areas (there will be
executable samples this week).

By separating the two, I hope to make it easier for users to manipulate two
different dimensions of presentation:
- rearrange items within a report <layout>
- play with more 'stylistic' settings such as text styles, possibly graph
styles, margins etc.

Commercial constraints have limited how much can be done in the first
version - we have to ship a model that satisfies a client, but I look
forward to gaining a lot of feedback on this approach.

Andy Dent BSc MACS AACM, Software Designer, A.D. Software, Western Australia
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows
PP2MFC - PowerPlant->MFC portability
http://www.oofile.com.au/