Re: XML is broken (was Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD toValidate?)

Subject: Re: XML is broken (was Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD toValidate?)
From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 17:02:38 +0200

Andy Dent wrote:

> At 10:04 +0800 3/4/99, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> >One thing that's bothered me about every CSS
> >implementation I've seen is that none of them provide support for users
> >choosing different styles from a list of choices.  They all seem stuck on
> >'the document specifies a single presentation for its content' somehow.

I'm glad you said "every CSS implementation" rather than "CSS" there ;-)

> This is one reason why I factored our initial styling model for our
> report-writer into separate <layout> and <style> areas (there will be
> executable samples this week).

That sounds like the right approach; they should be separate.

Yes, it is possible to group stylesheets together such that each group
is a different style, and users can choose between them.

It would be a better world if this was supported, but there is the usual
chicken and egg situation; content authors don't use the facility
because it isn't supported, but implementors don't support it because
they don't see a pressing need.

For an example of use, see http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Cascading Style Sheets, level 1</TITLE>
<LINK rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen"
   href="http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/W3C-REC.css";>
<LINK rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen"
   title="errata"
href="http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/W3C-errata.css";>
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
  UL P { margin: 0 }
  UL BLOCKQUOTE { margin: 0 1em; font-style: italic }
</STYLE>
</HEAD>

The alternate stylesheet hilights the changes between the original and
revised edition of CSS1.

--
Chris