Re: Xlink

Subject: Re: Xlink
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:27:53 -0400
At 09:33 AM 4/10/99 -0400, John Simpson wrote:
>At 08:34 AM 4/10/99 -0400, 6tk2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>Does IE5.0 beta and non-beta support the use of Xlink?
>
>Nope, not yet. I haven't seen any timeline indicating *when* XLink support
>might be included, but guess that it won't be at least until the XLink spec
>goes through another draft.

Not as far as I can tell.  Rumor has it that the W3C's Amaya does (simple
links, anyway), though I haven't been able to make that work.

A quick search of Microsoft's site for 'XLink' brings up very little.  Most
interesting is a page on the XML Interchange Format
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/repository/techmat/XML/xifspec.htm) that claims:

>XML Links provides concepts to describe links between objects in XML
>documents. Links are still in a draft state in the W3C, see XML Linking
>Language (Xlink). XML Links are currently not used in XIF since their
>addition would not add more expressiveness or simplify the concepts.
>However, care has been taken to ensure that the specified format is
>compatible with current proposals.

Even I have a hard time pushing Microsoft to support a standard that's been
in a working-draft deep freeze for over a year, however.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com