Re: apache,perl,xml,xsl

Subject: Re: apache,perl,xml,xsl
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:30:13 -0400
At 02:21 PM 4/14/1999 -0300, Matthew MacKenzie wrote:
>  Are any of you using non-microsoft server/scripting technologies in your
>XML/XSL implementations, specifically, Apache and Perl?  If anyone has some
>Apache XML/XSL wisdom, do speak up...all of this .asp, IIS talk is kind of
>scary...

Do tell!

I'm in the process (over the next couple weeks) of installing Apache,
Apache JServ, and Cocoon on my machine at home. Already have Python and
Perl on it. Looking forward to getting into just the sort of thing you're
talking about.

My sense is that MS has garnered an awful lot of attention for their
XML/XSL "support," and they're to be congratulated -- at least, to the
extent that they've raised developer awareness of X*L technology. But as
cool as ASP and related technology is, it's useless to 50% of Web sites.
And my limited exposure to the MS client-side X*L technology frankly makes
my skin crawl. When someone asks a question about using MSIE5, and the
answers center around the necessity to use off-the-wall stuff like
<xsl:eval>, it's hard for me to accept that the *questioner* has a problem.

I for one would love to hear about your (or anyone else's) experiences with
Perl/Python X*L-processing tools. Thanks for bringing it up.