Replacing server scripts (ASP) with XSL, was RE: About xsl:scripts

Subject: Replacing server scripts (ASP) with XSL, was RE: About xsl:scripts
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 18:38:23 -0400
Here's a snippet from a current XML/XSL based electronic medical record
project (this is already being used in beta form, and is going into
production/live patient data mode in about 2 weeks).

What is illustrated is how ASP scripts can be replaced by XSL
transformations. The client request is sent via HTTP as an XML document. The
HTTP response is XML back to the client, hence XML is used as a sort of RPC
PDU (not to be confused with XML-RPC).

By hooking into the ASP Request object, this document is read directly into
a DOM object which is transformed via XSL.

This project uses relational database storage (because queries and indices
are critical). Relational database access is via an XML -XSL-> ODBC adapter.

You can see how straightforward this is (and it works :-)

---------asp javascript snippet here----------

	var req = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
	req.load(Request);

	var query = req.transformNode(xfQuery);
	var rs = conn.Execute(query);
	rsToXML(rs);