Re: Python & XML

Subject: Re: Python & XML
From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Apr 1999 09:11:33 +0200
* John E. Simpson

| Yes -- I'm intrigued by all that Python seems capable of, and also
| by *who* is using and promoting it. Very broad range of people from
| the stereotypical technoid at one extreme to the philosopher at the
| other; there doesn't seem to be a "typical Python user." (In that
| regard, too, it recalls Lisp....)

Somewhat, although I think Common Lisp users usually have more in
common than Python users do. The Lisp community is in some senses a
separate computing culture from the Unix and Mac/PC ones, with its own
design traditions and way of thinking.

| How does Python's X*L-processing performance compare with Java's?

In terms of speed you mean? The speed with which you develop is much
higher, and the speed of the result is usually lower. How much lower
will vary with which parser you use (we have both pure Python and C
parsers) and what you do with what comes out of it. I could give you a
ratio, but that would just be misleading.

| (I realize you've got a vested interest in reporting that it
| compares favorably. ;)

I do, but the above was still truthful.

| And any word on the reportedly soon-to-be-available alpha release of
| an XSL processor?

It is available already (just look for 4XSL in my tools list (sorry,
no URL, I have to catch the bus)), and from what I hear a new version
with better packaging should be available any day now.

--Lars M.