Re: Grand Unification Theory

Subject: Re: Grand Unification Theory
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:46:45 -0500
Chris Lilley wrote:

> Contiguous on what domain - the source or the rendering? Provided that
> you mean the former, I agree.

Well, I *meant* contiguous in the source but your question leads me to
think: if the link target can be noncontiguous in the rendering (as it
clearly can with XSL) then what's the point of requiring contiguousness in
the source? I had been thinking that it was ease-of-rendering but that
doesn't hold up in light of the fact that adjacency in source is not the
same as adjacency in rendering.

If we ditch this requirement then the model becomes much simpler:
nodelists are described by "select patterns." The stylesheet can ask
whether a node is addressed by any select pattern in any locator in any
XLink in the current "document set". The stylesheet can do what it wants
based on that information.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"The Excursion [Sport Utility Vehicle] is so large that it will come
equipped with adjustable pedals to fit smaller drivers and sensor
devices that warn the driver when he or she is about to back into a
Toyota or some other object." -- Dallas Morning News