Re: Grand Unification Theory

Subject: Re: Grand Unification Theory
From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:49:17 +0200

Paul Prescod wrote:

> I see an XPointer as an XSL pattern that is restricted to a contiguous
> range of nodes. So XPointer would be a subset of XSL.

Contiguous on what domain - the source or the rendering? Provided that
you mean the former, I agree. In other words, an XPointer can be
expressed as a byte range.

Wheras XSL patterns, and CSS selectors and XQL queries can return
results that are disjoint (eg, "all the foo elements which are children
of bar")

> The important question is whether the syntax could be restricted so that
> the XPointer parser could know at "compile time" that only a character or
> a range matches.

In other words, once they have been unified, how do you tell them apart.

--
Chris