Re: HTML is a formatting/UI language was: RE: Formatting Objects considered harmful

Subject: Re: HTML is a formatting/UI language was: RE: Formatting Objects considered harmful
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:04:04 -0400 (EDT)
[Håkon Wium Lie]
> Paul Prescod wrote:
>  > Transmitting XHTML probably does not make sense when we could
>  > instead get the client to do the transformation. I think we can
>  > all agree on that.
>
> Yes. But how will you make existing browsers perform
> transformations?

The same way that existing (pre-v5) browsers will read the dangerous
FOs: not at all.

For browsers supporting XML/XSL, deliver semantic XML and a
presentational stylesheet.

For older browsers, deliver semantic HTML.

It is possible to deliver presentational-only XML (i.e., FOs) to a new
client, but since it can handle client-side transformation, why
bother?

I feel that you're raising valid concerns about a case that will not
occur very frequently at all, since in any browser susceptible to such
abuse, there are much better ways of delivering information to it.

-Chris