Re: Formatting Objects considered harmful

Subject: Re: Formatting Objects considered harmful
From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:17:55 +0200 (MET DST)
Guy wrote:

 > And why shouldn't I create a semantic firewall if there is a business case
 > for it? The semantics of a lot of companies happen to be worth an awful lot
 > of money, in many cases more than the data itself, and represent large
 > investment of capital and time on the part of information scientists....
 > why should you get this for free?

As a business case, your arguments make a lot of sense. That's one
reason why I don't understand how some people can claim XFO will never
be used on the web.

 > As a side question, what's Opera Softwares plans if you don't mind me
 > asking, for it's rendering engine? Do you forsee a future for Opera post
 > HTML?

I think HTML will outlast myself. Along the way, other formats will
join. I'm currently playing with an internal version of Opera that
does XML+CSS and namespaces. This was easy due to the availabilty of
freely embedable XML parsers (we're using James' Expat) and Opera's
flexible rendering engine.

-h&kon

Håkon Wium Lie             http://www.operasoftware.com/people/howcome
howcome@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                      simply a better browser