RE: Specifying output encoding type in XSLT

Subject: RE: Specifying output encoding type in XSLT
From: "Yoichiro Hirano" <pina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:14:05 +0900
Thank you for the comment.  The result-encoding in xsl:stylesheet
is a great idea!  Since we started from our original extension, we
considered it as a PI.  But if it could be a part of xsl:stylesheet, it
is much better.

I assume it looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Shift_JIS"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0";
indent-result="yes" result-encoding="UTF-8">

As many of you know, specifying encoding type or converting
encoding type is very important in Asian languages such as
Japanese, since the language has several encoding types in common
use.  For instance, Unix systems commonly use EUC-JP and the
Windows systems commonly use Shift_JIS as the encoding in
Japanese computer systems.
--- Here is a very probable case: XML data are written in Shift_JIS,
XSL is written in EUC-JP and the result is required by UTF-8!

Regards,
Pina Hirano, Infoteria Inc.