Re: Resolving ENTITY attributes

Subject: Re: Resolving ENTITY attributes
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 11:50:59 +0800
> > Could we get a show of hands to see how many people require this
> > functionality?
>
> More useful would be a list of public XML applications (preferably with
> URLs for further information) that use ENTITY attributes.

While I agree that this would be more useful, there is the problem that many
applications might deliberately avoid ENTITY attributes *because* of the
lack of support in XSL.

The apparently under utilised aspects of XML 1.0: notations and unparsed
entities would, I believe, experience somewhat of a revival if there was
good support for them in XSL.

I realise this is a catch-22, especially for a W3C spec writer, but there
certainly seems to be a desire in this group to have ENTITY attribute
support.

Of course, another alternative would be to deprecate notations and unparsed
entities in XML and hope that Namespaces and XLink come to the rescue.

JamesT